Friday, April 20, 2012

About Me


My name  is Mark Kapel. I am a 23 year resident of the City of Bloomfield Hills. I am running for City Commission because funny thing happened to me on the way to the city hall.  

A year or so ago I filled out a form to volunteer  for vacancies on the City’s Boards and Commissions. All the applications were published in the Agenda Packet for the appointment meeting .Reading the other applicants resumes told me mine was woefully in adequate and I was not surprised when I was not picked for anything. 

Later I discovered  an article in the Oakland Press asking people to write blogs about their passion.  Cats, Kids, Cars and Sports were the suggested topics. I asked if I could write about the City of Bloomfield Hills. They said I could and thus The City of Bloomfield Hills Blog was born. It appears three days  a week in the Oakland Press Blog Roll. Since June 1st of 2011 we have received 11,000  page visits. We are not mass circulation media however. Return readers have always been 60 % to 75% of our readers. The average reader spends ten minutes and reads 3.5 pages per visit. Bloomfield Hills readers average fifteen minutes a visit and read close to five pages a visit.

To write articles for the blog I started attending City Commission MeetingsMy attendance at City Commission meetings  last year rivals that of any commissioner and dwarfs that of any other candidate.

In July The OP asked me to cover the Bloomfield Hills School Board for the newspaper  so I attend School Board meetings as a  Special Writer for the Oakland Press. 

In the Fall Mayor Zambricki, citing me as independent thinker asked if I would serve on one of the the City's Boards I was pleasantly surprised and accepted. I am now a member of the  Zoning Board of Appeals
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment